Which humbuckers?

Anything about the various Talon model guitars
Richard
Site Admin
Netherlands

Which humbuckers?

Post by Richard »

Someone asked me which humbuckers are in the Talon models. He was once told they would be DiMarzio super distortion 3, but these did not come out until 1994 so that's too late. Maybe it's a regular super distortion or a super 2?
I don't know if this is simply a measuring-the-impedance type of thing - I am not a hardware person, I'm afraid. Who could help?
--
Black Fender-labelled DR-6
Warmoth-based Fender Stratocaster
Positive Grid Spark 40 amp
Looking for a black Fender-labelled Talon V
http://www.karsmakers.nl
Julz
Heartfield Student
Australia

Re: Which humbuckers?

Post by Julz »

Hi Richard

Not sure what the base models have but the I-V should have DiMarzio H3 (neck) and H1 (bridge) exclusively designed for Heartfield and maybe 1 or 2 other brands.

I contacted DiMarzio years ago to get more info and they replied that the H3 is very similar to the Paf Pro (DP151) and the H1 is close to the Super 3 (DP152)

Richard
Site Admin
Netherlands

Post by Richard »

I contacted DiMarzio last week and this is what they replied:

I believe the bridge pickup was a Super 3 (DP152). There should be a model number on the baseplate. The DC resistance is very high, over 18Kohms. I don’t know if all Talons had the same pickups. It’s possible the earliest models did not have our pickup in the bridge position. I’m not certain, but I recall that being the case. Our archives indicate the HH Talons had a Super 3 in the bridge and an OEM model in the neck that was fairly similar to an Evolution neck model.
--
Black Fender-labelled DR-6
Warmoth-based Fender Stratocaster
Positive Grid Spark 40 amp
Looking for a black Fender-labelled Talon V
http://www.karsmakers.nl
Julz
Heartfield Student
Australia

Post by Julz »

Interesting. Do you know if it was Steve Blucher who replied?

As far as HH Talons (or HMX models) go, they would be purely prototype models.

The lower spec Talons have house brand humbuckers I think. You can identify these by the pole pieces - all DiMarzio humbucker equipped production Talons should have black adjustable hex pole pieces.

You correctly stated Super 3 was introduced in 1994 according to the website but I'm sceptical about this date. I can almost swear I saw the Super 3 featuring in DiMarzio catalogs from 1992/93.

The mysteries never cease!

Return to “Talon”